This Post Brought To You By The Letter "B"

Saturday, August 27, 2016

I took a modern calligraphy class this week and am starting to feel a bit more confident in the craft...a bit. There are certain letters I gravitate towards because they are loopy and fun and flow well for me. The lowercase letter "b" happens to be one of those (p and w are the others :)).

I've been doing a ton of practicing with ink and nib (see messy photo below as evidence) but wanted to try a new medium today, drawing gum! Drawing gum, also known as masking liquid, is a fluid that you use like ink to "mask" certain areas of your work. It goes on very wet but as it dries, it gets a rubber'ey texture and can be painted over with watercolors. Once your paint dries, you rub or peel the drawing gum away and you're left with whatever surface you started on - plain white in my case.



I used Pebeo drying gum but there are a number of other brands available if you search on Amazon or at your local paper or art supply store.


Here are a few tips I learned in my first day of playing with this new supply:

  1. Be patient! It's tempting to want to watercolor over the drawing gum pretty quickly but if it's not completely dry, it makes a mess. Similarly, don't try peeling off the drying gum until your watercolor is dry otherwise the paint will bleed into the places you don't want it to! 
  2. Mess up the writing (or whatever design you're working on)? Never fear - just let it dry, peel it off and start over with a clean slate! No reason to waste your good watercolor paper!
  3. To remove the drawing gum (once everything is dry), very gently rub it with a pencil eraser. That will help ball it up a bit so you can grab and peel it more easily. 

Remember how I said earlier that I had been doing a lot of calligraphy practice lately? This is the reason why my fingernails will be black for the next week: 


Learning new things can sure be messy!! 

2 comments:

jusaweecatnap said...

Cool. Thanks for the info. Looks like fun stuff. Love your "b's."

Natashalh said...

I love Pebeo! It's the best masking fluid I've come across. Love your idea to use it for calligraphy!

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger