Driftwood Yarn Bombing

Sunday, May 10, 2015

We spent the weekend on Vashon Island celebrating my wonderful Mom and Dad (whose birthday happened to fall on Mother's day this year :)).

It was a beautiful weekend so we didn't waste the opportunity to do a bit of beachcombing. My Dad has always been a collector of found objects - beach glass, crooked pieces of drift wood, shiny pebbles - and I know this trait has rubbed off on me because I can't leave the island without a bag full of craggy sea worn twigs!

This is one of the many branches of driftwood I picked up on our walk. It looked like it needed a little sweater so I yarn bombed it!


I used neutral toned yarns that I associate with coastal colors. The yarns are all different weights but I used size 8 needles for all of them.


I knit each small gauge flat and then sewed it around the branch, using a mattress stitch to attach the two ends together. They are nice and snug so they shouldn't move or slip.


I think it kind of looks like an octopus. Can you see it?


This might be the most impractical thing I've ever made. Jake asked me why I was "making leg warmers for a tree" but once the idea was in my head, I couldn't shake it!!

As silly as it is, I kind of like it. I plan to take it to the office as a reminder of two of my favorite hobbies - knitting and beachcombing!!


Happy Mother's day to all of the Moms out there! I hope you had really special days.

And to my Mom and the birthday boy (aka my Dad), I love you both a ton and appreciate everything you've taught me (like how to spot good pieces of driftwood in a pile of logs)!!

4 comments:

azteclady said...

As your resident comment curmudgeon, I'll say that I'm usually very much not a fan of yarn bombing (my reaction is invariably, "waste of good yarn!"), but your little driftwood octopus looks cute all dressed up in those lovely soft colors...

Mary Mac said...

Love the pastel colors you used. I like looking for yarn bombs to see what people think is fun to do. This is the first for drift wood.

Tahnee said...

Such a clever idea for something nice around the house, thanks for sharing :)

Tung Nguyen said...

What is it ?



thiet ke nha
nha xinh

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger