Fall Felt Leaves Tutorial

Thursday, September 26, 2013

When I was working on my Second Spring embroidery, I remembered a tutorial I had put together last year for Leslie's lovely blog, Leslie's Art and Sew. Since the autumn season has rolled around again, I thought I'd repost it here in case anyone missed it the first time!


Inspired by the warm colors of the season, I created these felt leaf wall hangings. They come together quickly, make a unique decoration for fall and are really fun to stitch! Here's a tutorial for how I made them.


















Step 1: Gather your supplies! 

- Scraps of felt (I like to use wool or wool blend felt but craft felt would work as well)
- Embroidery floss
- Dowel for hanging (I used pieces of drift wood for a natural look)
- Buttons or beads for embellishing
- Leaf template
- Fabric glue stick (optional) 


















Step 2: Cut your felt

Use your leaf template to cut out as many leaf shapes as you'd like. Cut your background felt pieces in corresponding sizes. 

















Step 3: Stitch and Embellish

This is the fun part! Use your imagination to stitch designs or sew bits and bobs to your leaves. Go outside and be inspired by all of the designs you'll find in nature.

When embellishing with felt, I use a fabric glue stick to hold the felt pieces firmly in place while I stitch.


















Step 4: Attach Leaf to Background

Once you've decorated your leaf to your liking, attach it to your background fabric. Try various stitches such as back, running, whip or blanket to attach it. Use this as another opportunity to add more decoration to your design! I added another piece of felt backing to make a nice border around the entire design.































Step 5: Attach Loops for Hanging

When your leaf (or leaves) are all stitched up and ready to hang, your next step will be to attach loops to feed your hanging dowel through.

Cut a narrow piece of felt and measure around your dowel to get the length of the loop and cut the felt accordingly. To attach the loops, you can stitch them directly to the background felt or just glue them onto the back.



Step 6: Hang and Admire

You're done! Enjoy your new autumn decorations.

















5 comments:

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Oh I love them -- you are so talented and clever! And your stitches are so even (something I would have trouble doing)!

Additionsstyle said...

These wall hangings are fantastic! I love them, thanks for sharing the tutorial.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Leslie Andersen said...

I'm still loving these beautiful leaves! The colors and stitching are so wonderful!

Erica said...

She's baaaaaaack!! :)

Look at all the beautiful things you've been making!

I'm glad you reposted this DIY. Your photos are beautiful, and the leaves are perfect for fall decor. :)

Anonymous said...

100% agree with Erica - you are in full swing. I just went on a short vacation and was pleasantly surprised by all the posts! Thanks for this fall decor tip.
Aimee from Craftmates

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger