The Belated Cowl

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Back in July, I met a friend and fellow Craftster mod near Pt. Townsend for a crafty weekend. I visited a local yarn shop near our resort and picked up Malabrigo Booklet 3 and a few skeins of Cascade 128 yarn. As soon as we arrived, I put on my pjs, poured a glass of wine and got started knitting this cowl.

I wanted to finish it quickly so that my friend, Mary Ann, could wear it as soon as autumn arrived. Despite good intentions, I didn't actually finish this belated cowl until today, just 7 months later :). At least there are a still a couple months of cold weather to look forward to around the Pacific Northwest!



I sewed the buttons to the end of the cowl because I liked the idea of wearing it like an infinity scarf or unbuttoning it and wearing it like a normal scarf. The jury is still out on whether or not that was a good idea. If they were sewn on the side, it would probably be easier to wear as a cowl. Fortunately, buttons can be moved :).




The pattern included a fair amount of cabling but was otherwise really simple. The pattern repeat was easy to remember so I didn't have to stare at the chart the whole time.



This baby is getting sent off tomorrow! Hopefully better late than never :).

26 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful!!

waggonswest said...

Gorgeous. Beautiful color and lovely knitting.

Beauty Fashion Blogger in Seattle said...

What a neat way to make infinity scarf. I want it now.

azteclady said...

Pretty!

And yeah, late is always better than never.

rubyslipperz said...

ooooo, aaaaaah, sigh...

Love it! I think the buttons are fun. =)

What yarn shop did you visit? I'm going to the Madrona Fiber Arts Festival in Tacoma in a few weeks! I'm soo excited =)

hugZ,
annie

katiecrackernuts said...

Belated or not, it's a beauty.

Saeed Zia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Duni said...

It's gorgeous and so versatile! I love the colour and the cable design! Wish I had time to knit more :)

kittykill said...

I love this! So beautiful.

liniecat said...

What a snugly design and such a beautiful blue too

craftmates said...

Awesome scarf! I wish I can knit. You are so creative!

Virna

Memories for Life said...

What a pretty color! I like the buttons in the cowl style as they add nice detail :)

helena frontini said...

So beautiful.\

meet.make.laugh. said...

Beautiful colour! And I like the buttons :)~Stephanie

meet.make.laugh. said...

Beautiful colour! And I like the buttons :)~Stephanie

Erica said...

Oh, I just love the idea of using the buttons... it makes it so versatile!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trekky said...

That is lovely, great textures. I really like the idea of being able to wear it as a scarf or cowl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy said...

Oh, how lovely! What a gorgeous color and pattern too! I still have "learn to cable" on my to do list. Sigh, unfortunately it's taken a back seat to many things for quite some time now!

Pamela Fields said...

I love this. The color of the yarn, the cable texturing and the buttons all make a great scarf/cowl. Lovely. I know your friend will be thrilled.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous. The pattern is simply beautiful. I love this teal colour too!
Aimee from Craftmates

Additionsstyle said...

Love the cowl! Great color and I think the buttons are the perfect finishing touch.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Heather Hands said...

Gorgeous color. I wish I had that kind of talent, and patience.

Jenelle said...

This is gorgeous. :) I love the button detail a whole lot and the color is divine. This is such a lovely gift!

craftmates said...

Wow, this is lovely. I wish I know how to do this. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled! - Irma

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger