Oh Beehave! Bubble Wrap Printing Tutorial

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I had originally intended to make a "Bee Mine" hoop for Jake's Valentine's present but I channeled Austin Powers instead and went with "Oh Beehave!" It's ridiculously silly but at the very least, it makes me giggle!


I used a fun and simple printing technique to make the hive on the background fabric using bubble wrap and fabric paint. 


I applied a moderately thick coat of fabric paint to the bubble wrap using a broad brush. I tried to avoid too much paint pooling in between the bubbles. I also tried using a roller but it didn't seem to get the paint into the nooks and crannies quite as well as the brush. 



Once I had the coat of paint covering an area large enough for my hoop, I flipped the painted bubble wrap onto the linen fabric. 


I gently rubbed the back of the bubble wrap to get the paint to cling to the fabric. I found putting a book on top and then pressing down helped to apply even pressure. 

I carefully pulled away the bubble wrap and voila, instant bee hive!



After letting the fabric dry for about an hour, I used a disappearing ink pen to write out "Oh beehave!" in the center of the print. I used 3 strands of DMC and a running stitch to dash the letters, giving them a buzzy look. I wish I had a used a full strand of floss to help the letters pop a bit more. 



I embroidered on the bee using felt and added a few final stitches to finish off the hoop. 


I was thinking this technique could also be used for making a snowy background or cobble stone or maybe a bubbly ocean fish scene! It was so easy and a fun way to use what otherwise would have just been thrown away!

I have a good sized piece of bubble wrap that has ~1" bubbles. I may try printing with that as well! It could result in a fabric that would make a cute tote or other accessory. I'll keep you posted if I try. 

Have a great week! 

26 comments:

rubyslipperz said...

wonderful idea!....oooooh, and I can see this on paper too, for cards =)

hugZ,
annie

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for a good paint tip.

Kara said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing how you did it. :)

Duni said...

Using the bubble wrap for printing is genius!! I love everything about this including the "beehave" ;-) Fun!!

Flaming Nora said...

Oh my! I love this. What a fantastic idea, I may have to steal it to teach at one of my kids classes. Well only if you don't mind that is. Such a simple idea with such amazing results.

AmyLynn said...

Oooooh, I really like this idea! It's something constructive to do with bubble wrap besides popping it! :)

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

What a fun project! I love the bubbles looking like a hive. And the quote is too cute :)

Erica said...

Just adorable. I love how you used the bubble wrap. That was genius! This makes me want to give embroidery another go. :)

BeadedTail said...

That turned out fabulous! Very clever to use the bubble wrap and I love the saying you chose! Cute, cute, cute!

Nosnin said...

Cute! That turned wonderfully! Great idea.

wendiek said...

It makes me giggle too Lime!

Thanks for sharing your technique!

Great project, BEElieve me! Sorry, couldn't help myself ;-)

meet.make.laugh. said...

This is so adorable! And I really love the bubble wrap stamp.... it works so well!

Additionsstyle said...

What a great idea! I love the idea of printing with bubble wrap.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Jenelle said...

EEP! :) I love this so much! I think you're a genius to use bubble wrap for printing. Gorgeous stitching too!

i.ikeda said...

What an awesome idea! I love using bubble wrap in painting, but I've never done it on fabric, only on canvas and wood. This is very cool, and I bet he's going to love the AP's reference.

Pecosa.art said...

What a great idea! Wonderful work!

Anonymous said...

Another fabulous project! I will try this out. I love it.
Aimee from Craftmates

kittykill said...

So stinking cute! You are so talented!

Nancy said...

So cute!! I love the theme:)

Anonymous said...

I don't leave many remarks, but I browsed a few responses on this page "Oh Beehave! Bubble Wrap Printing Tutorial". I do have 2 questions for you if you do not mind. Is it simply me or do a few of these comments look like they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on additional sites, I'd like to follow everything fresh
you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of all your shared pages like your Facebook page,
twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
Also visit my web site blackjack online for real money

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it
was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for rookie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.
Here is my webpage ... online Slot machines real money

Emma Wright said...

This is very cute! What a great way to print, with bubble wrap :)

Kristin at My Art and the Mom in Me said...

What a fabulous technique! And the finished product is oh so cute!

craftmates said...

Wow, wow, wow - I love this!!!

eat. sleep. MAKE. said...

So great, the bubble wrap gives it a lot of texture. And I love that you went with the Austin Powers saying :) -Jen

Pamela Fields said...

Love it!!!

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger