Cabbage Butt Printed Journal

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I've been a little obsessed with garbage lately! Before I throw anything out, I ask myself "is this something I can print fabric with??"

When I went to throw out the butt of a napa cabbage a few weeks ago, I answered "yes" to my little internal question. To Jake's dismay, I tucked the garbage back into the veggie drawer and insisted that it not be thrown away.

I dug it out last week to make this gardening journal cover. I thought a cabbage butt would make the perfect design for my green thumb swap partner, MissingWillow.


I used linen fabric in a natural color and green fabric paint to make this. I did try acrylic paint as well and found that the resulting color wasn't quite as bold. To do the printing, I covered the cabbage in a thin but thorough layer of paint. I stamped it onto the fabric and while holding it steady, pushed down and all around to try to get the stamp as even as possible. I repeated this randomly all over the ~1/2 yard of fabric I was working with.

Maybe it was a little gross but leaving the old cabbage in the fridge for a while seemed to remove some of the moisture and separate the leaves which added more definition to the print.



I complemented the printed fabric with a strip of light green solid cotton before sewing the journal together. I also used my trusty alphabet stamps to spell the word "growing" on a piece of twill tape. 




I had fun putting this together and adding to my list of garbage that makes a good stamp! I have a whole pile of garbage in my craft room just waiting for a new life as fabric stamp.

Hope you're having a good week!

25 comments:

meet.make.laugh. said...

This is lovely! I like how it looks like a rose! :) ~Stephanie

rubyslipperz said...

Such a GREAT idea!!! it would be fun to use this on a card...it could almost look like a flower =)

You are always getting the sparks flying in my brain with your inspirational posts!

hugz,
annie

Jane S. said...

Who knew cabbage butts could make such pretty fabric! Excellent job of recycling AND printing. :)

Duni said...

I love your journal cover and I especially love the cabbage rose print!

Gill said...

I love it!!

Emma Wright said...

I really love a covered case for a notebook! I love it, thank you for sharing :)

craftmates said...

Beautiful fabric cover and stamping! - Irma

Memories for Life said...

How creative! And it turned out so well! I can't wait to see what other garbage ideas you have!

Leslie Andersen said...

I will gave to consider my garbage more carefully! Love the journal cover.

waggonswest said...

Love it. Never called them cabbage butts before though.

MAD14kt said...

Pretty!!! :)

Erica said...

This is the first cabbage butt print I've ever seen! ;) Such a clever idea. The print looks like roses to me! Now, you have me thinking I should dig around in my garbage for crafty ideas, and it gives me a reason for having all those old veggies left over in my fridge.

Meredith said...

I will never look at garbage or butts the same again... I mean veggie butts. Genius Lime! it looks just like a rose!

Jenelle said...

What a clever and creative lady you are Mareth! :) The print looks like a carefully hand-carved made the impression. I wouldn't have guessed it was made with a cabbage butt. I like this exploration of garbage for stamping!

Trekky said...

I have never thought of a cabbage having a butt before!!!

This looks fantastic! Ages ago I made some wrapping paper by printing with celery butts. It looked quite good, although as we now have 2 guinea pigs, there is NO way the beasts would allow me to be printing with their dinner!

Anonymous said...

The debt discussions need to switch along to be able to successUsually, the principal amount may be minimized through the loan consolidation company talking with payday lenders or the rate of interest may be minimizedThe best way to love your Marine World experience is to prepare your holiday plans well http://www.paydayloanfor.me.uk As possible expect, your legal fees for the addition of your debt after filing Chapter 14 bankruptcy can get quite expensive

kittykill said...

Once again, you created something so beautiful! Love it!

Nancy said...

Oh, it looks absolutely stunning! The cabbage print is so clear and gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

You could definitely see your expertise in the article you write.

The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention
how they believe. Always go after your heart.
Also visit my weblog ; roulette online for money

Anonymous said...



Alsо visіt my blog post :: sensual massage
Also visit my website - tantric massage london

Additionsstyle said...

Very cool book cover! I think going through the trash to find things to stamp with is a great idea.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Anonymous said...

From now on, after you see someone referring to a double stop, then showing notation,
you may know which the ambigu stops that they're referring to are easy the parts from the notation where by two notes are played concurrently.
Stop by my blog : http://www.getfitnstrong.com/bowflex-dumbbells/bowflex-dumbbells-552-fifteen-dumbbells/

omair khan said...

Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
www.jobzcorner.com

Katie (Lemon Jitters) said...

This looks great!

eat. sleep. MAKE. said...

I've seen stamping with celery but never cabbage - I like this much better actually! -Jen

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger