The first thing I experimented with was Inkodye. I purchased a few bottles of this light sensitive dye at the beginning of the summer but haven't had much luck with it (present project included).
It is amazingly cool stuff but it seems to require a fair amount of trial and error before getting the hang of it. I'm getting closer to success with each attempt! Once I nail it, I'll share everything I learned with all of you.
The basic idea is that you paint your surface with the dye, cover the areas that you don't want to be colored and then place the whole thing in the sun for processing. After the dye has set, you scrub the fabric and are left with a silhouette of the item(s) you covered the surface with. I used coins for this trial.
The picture on the top was taken after just a few minutes of sun exposure. The second pic was snapped about 10 minutes later. It's both fun and frustrating to work with. I already have another project in mind and I'm hoping that it will be the first print I'm actually happy with.
I also played around with some good old fashioned potato printing! I sliced a potato in half and then carved a series of simple lines into it. I dipped it in fabric paint and randomly stamped it onto a piece of white linen fabric. Each dip and stamp look a little different but it has character.
I plan to experiment with some embroidery now. I think it might be fun to embellish the design with stitches. We'll see how it goes!
I'm having fun playing with new printing techniques and learning new lessons. I'm hopeful that all the practice I've been doing will pay off with a successful project soon. Stay tuned!!