Blue Prints

Monday, September 17, 2012

After my recent toilet paper printing adventures, I've been inspired to try other fabric printing techniques.

The first thing I experimented with was Inkodye. I purchased a few bottles of this light sensitive dye at the beginning of the summer but haven't had much luck with it (present project included).

It is amazingly cool stuff but it seems to require a fair amount of trial and error before getting the hang of it. I'm getting closer to success with each attempt! Once I nail it, I'll share everything I learned with all of you.

The basic idea is that you paint your surface with the dye, cover the areas that you don't want to be colored and then place the whole thing in the sun for processing. After the dye has set, you scrub the fabric and are left with a silhouette of the item(s) you covered the surface with. I used coins for this trial.


























The picture on the top was taken after just a few minutes of sun exposure. The second pic was snapped about 10 minutes later. It's both fun and frustrating to work with. I already have another project in mind and I'm hoping that it will be the first print I'm actually happy with.



I also played around with some good old fashioned potato printing! I sliced a potato in half and then carved a series of simple lines into it. I dipped it in fabric paint and randomly stamped it onto a piece of white linen fabric. Each dip and stamp look a little different but it has character. 

I plan to experiment with some embroidery now. I think it might be fun to embellish the design with stitches. We'll see how it goes! 


I'm having fun playing with new printing techniques and learning new lessons. I'm hopeful that all the practice I've been doing will pay off with a successful project soon. Stay tuned!! 

13 comments:

Zakka Life said...

Will have to put this on my list of things to try. I'm thinking it might be fun on a fabric handbag.

QuirkieCraft said...

I've tried the inkodye and it's tricky to use! You look like you're getting pretty good results though =) Did you dilute the chemical with water? I didn't and wonder if maybe it would have spread a bit easier if it was thinner. Anyway, I can't wait to see your future results.

Audry said...

I quite like the potato printing. It kind of resembles Japanese indigo ikat.

Nelly's Treasures said...

ah i love the potato printing, i havent done that since i was a kid!

Nancy said...

Wow...pretty cool for first attempts! There's so much you can do with this!

Angie said...

I love the potato stamp. A really fun, simple design.

And i adore polka dots.

Mary Mac said...

Love your projects. I would like to see the effects of adding stitching to your hoop design, I am sure it would be beautiful.

Pam Fields said...

You, my friend, are so creative! I think the results were great and especially like the hoop with potato stamp. Now, to see what some of your marvelous stitching will add these sweet projects! Hope your week is going well.

Kira - oopsicraftmypants.com said...

I like 'em! That potato stamp reminds me of those gray stones with the white bands on them. Super pretty.

Heather Hands said...

I love this idea. It is so cute. I remember potato stamping back in kindergarden. Thought it was the best thing ever. Although, we didn't do anything fancy. Just sliced a potato and dapped it into some paint.

landofbreadandhoney said...

Hm, I always think the sun-exposure stuff looks interesting but I can see major problems with the technique over here in the UK :)

P said...

Fantastic!

Pecosa.art said...

Fantastic!

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger