Holding On and Letting Go

Friday, May 4, 2012

I saw a nice quote the other day, "Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." Some quick internet research tells me that Keith Urban was the original author.

Jake and I are currently in the midst of some stressful times (more to share on this soon) and this quote is serving as a great reminder to hold on to the things that matter and just let the other stuff go. These Artist's Trading Cards (ATCs) were inspired by the saying.

I used all kinds of goodies from my bin-o-crafty-junk for these including; book pages, buttons, water color paints, fabric and paper scraps. I used an old Rainier Beer can and my newly acquired metal stamps to make the words. I added some decorative stitching with my sewing machine.





















































Things I'm holding on to right now...

- My perfectly wonderful husband
- Our silly dogs
- My always loving and supportive parents
- Our group of friends that make us laugh, no matter what
- The community of online pals I've made in recent years
- The fact that we are healthy, happy and have everything we need

Things I'm letting go of...

- The 5 lbs I wanted to lose (but didn't) before our upcoming trip
- The fact that my new blog template isn't close to being finished
- The stress of getting the house spotless for in-laws
- Anything that's out of my ability to control!


What are you holding on to and letting go of this week?

PS - sincere apologies for the weirdness you will likely see around here while I customize my new layout and update all of my old posts :)

13 comments:

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

Good quote. And what a creative idea.

kittykill said...

You are going through such a wonderful adventure right now. Some parts may be frustrating and exhausting but think of all the things you are learning, the things that you cherish and the things you can leave by the wayside that are bogging you down. If I know you, you will have a smile on your face through it all!

LimeRiot said...

Thank you, Pam. You put a smile on my face :).

waggonswest said...

Wishing you the best whatever that might turn out to be.

The quote and the cards are inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

rubyslipperz said...

Very thought provoking...as I stopped to think, I realized that many of the things that I wanted to hold on to...weren't in my control to hold on to.

I'm thinking (at this moment, anyway), I should let go of any expectations I have of others and love them exactly the way they are. I should, on the other hand, hold myself (at least gradually) to more expectations on a daily basis. =)

I can't tell (just by the wee bit I know of you) that you are a great person! Don't be holdin' on to ANY negative thoughts of yourself for any reason.

Well...that's it for me...I know, "WELLs" are deep. That's what I used to tell my kids when they were young.

Big cyber hugZ to you!
Have a safe trip...we NEED you back here - when you get back =)

annie

azteclady said...

*sending good thoughts your way*

Though I have not read any of the books, the phrase "don't swat the small stuff--and it's all small stuff" applies: let go of what doesn't matter.

Here's hoping things get better soonest!

Pam Fields said...

Holding on to sweet memories of loved ones that are now gone.
Letting go of feelings of inadequacies or worries.
Loved the cards and hope all is well with you.

Zakka Life said...

Hoping things turn around for you soon :)

Nancy said...

Wow...it looks really great around here! I think this quote is a great one to "hold on to":)

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Love your cards, they are gorgeous!
I wish you all the best on your new journey!

Stephanie said...

Saw your Twine Wrapped Eggs on The Lovely Cupboard and had to come check out you're other ideas. I love these cards for their design and also what they represent.

Thank you for causing me to think about the things to hold on to and those to let go of.

spidermom said...

lovely ATC's and lovely thoughts to keep in mind!
i myself am trying to let go of a few things right now, so this is very inspiring :)

i.ikeda said...

Adorable! Do you often do ATC swaps? I'd love to do one with you sometime. Maybe when things are less stressful?

I'm letting go of trying to et everything done in the time it would have taken me before I got to where I am now. I am also trying very hard to let go of perfectionism.

I'm holding on to the fact that I have a lot of loved ones in my life.

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger