Mini Cork Board and Felt Thumbtacks with Tutorial!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

My hubby and I are busy bees and sometimes we forget important things... like our lunches :)! We're always leaving sticky notes around the house as little reminders to ourselves and each other. I created this mini framed cork board and felt thumbtacks to help us keep track of our week!















I selected a frame and removed the glass and cardboard from inside. I used the cardboard as a template for cutting a piece of cork that would fit in the frame.




























I cut out a piece of fabric approximately an inch bigger than the cork on each side. I covered one side of the cork with Elmer's dot runner glue and stuck it to the wrong side of the fabric.















I ran a strip of glue dots around the edges of the other side of the cork. I pulled the fabric tight and stuck it down, kind of like I was wrapping a present! The back side will be tucked into the frame and won't be seen so don't worry if it's a little messy.




























Once the cork package was all wrapped up, I went back to the frame and added Elmer's glue dots all over the back. Stick the dots and then peel the paper. Easy and STICKY!















Then I stuck the fabric wrapped cork board into the frame and it was ready for storing our notes!















Now that we had our board, I wanted to add some cute thumbtacks to hold our reminders.

I started by tracing a few simple designs onto tracing paper and cutting them out of felt.















I added a few simple embroidery stitches to give the pins a little more character.















I added a dollop of glue to attach the designs to a piece of background felt.















Then I snipped around the designs to create a little border. On the larger puppy, I stitched the design to the border piece but that was just for looks :). The glue would have held them together just fine!















The last step was to add a drop of glue to the back and attach the thumbtack.















After letting everything dry sufficiently, the completed board and felt thumbtacks were ready for our reminders!















We hung ours on the front door so we don't forget a thing! I think it would also look cute on a desk or hanging in the kitchen where everything happens :).


And in case you couldn't tell from all of the shots of glue, this was another project I did as part of the Elmer's Glue Master Crafter series. If you haven't already, be sure to check out all of the great projects that the group made!

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

kittykill said...

I want to be you when I grow up! You are so talented and beautiful and super duper sweet!

i.ikeda said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love the felt thumbtacks. I'll be making some soon for our cork board, me thinks. :)

Nichola said...

Adorable!

Nancy said...

Lovely idea!!

Karen said...

I love the little felties -- so cute!

azteclady said...

This is so cute and practical! Now that so many fridges don't have magnetic surfaces, cork boards are making a comeback. Thank you for sharing it!

Cari Baker said...

Cute tutorial… nicely presented !

Pam Fields said...

Love this idea! The thumb tacks are toooooo cute!

StacieLately said...

I stumbled across your blog on The Lovely Cupboard, and I love this idea! I am a teacher and have a quite large cork board behind my desk that needs some serious brautifying. :)

ABCorbinP said...

Found you via The Lovely Cupboard. I am using this somehow in my art classroom next fall! Inspired work of your hands...love it! :-)

Anonymous said...

http://13dfgsdfg57.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi, guantanamera121212

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger