Mitered Corner MADNESS

Friday, February 24, 2012

I recently challenged myself to increase my sewing fundamentals by working my way through the 1-2-3 Sew book. I've made it through the first chapter with mediocre success.

I really got hung up on the napkin project that was attempting to teach me how to make mitered corners. I've actually done mitered corners on quilts but that is an entirely different process than what's being taught with this project.

I got very stuck and very frustrated. These are the not-so-shining results of hours in front of the machine.















I was reaching a point of frustration that had me swearing that the sewing machine was going in a landfill for good. That's when I decided that I don't need to know how to do mitered corners :). I'm moving on!

The next chapter is all about pillows and I've already started on one that I'm really happy with. I'm not following the projects in the book exactly but the tips and techniques are very helpful.















While I was a little disappointed with the confusing instructions for mitered corners, I still think this is a great book and a valuable challenge.

It's also been really fun watching Nancy progress through her challenge that originally inspired me. She's a great support and motivator. I'm excited that Lindy is going to start working through the book too!

3 comments:

lilipopo said...

I hate hate hate mitred corners, they never look as perfect as they should! I don't know what magic other people perform but I certainly don't possess it! You have a lovely blog and thank you for your sweet comment on mine.
Kate x

Nancy said...

You know, I thought the diagram on mitered corners was really unclear and it took me a bit of playing to figure it out. It probably helped that I've never done it before because I wasn't confused by previous knowledge.

I have to admit- I too have been skipping things here and there as the point to me isn't to finish every project exactly how she does it but to just expand on what I want to know. I'm happy that you didn't let this frustration mar your interest in the challenge, good for you!

CraftyLikeLindy said...

I am going to step back from swapping a bit so I can start working through the book. I have just winged mitered corners on previous projects and may have to stick with that "technique"

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger