Dye Lot Disaster

Saturday, October 8, 2011

I fell in love with this ruffled scarf the moment I saw it. I immediately added it to my knitting queue and hit the yarn shop to find the perfect fiber. I picked up some beautiful yarn called Organik and set to work on the pattern.

After a few hours of knitting, I reached the end of my first skein and added a second. After a few more hours of knitting, I stepped back to admire my progress and, to my horror, discovered this dye lot disaster!!!



























That stripe you see is unintentional and caused by a simple mistake that I could have easily avoided. In my haste to get this yarn in my shopping bag and home to my knitting needles, I failed to check the dye lots on each skein. I ended up purchasing 2 skeins from the same colorway, but with different dye lots.

You can see from the above that variations between lots can be quite significant and can really screw up a project!

When purchasing yarn, be sure to take 30 seconds to match-up the dye lot numbers for all of the skeins you're buying. See that #073 below? That's the number you're looking for.














This is particularly important when purchasing kettle dyed yarn but even mass-produced yarns like Lion Brand can have variations. So don't be a dummy like me, check those numbers!

I'm not sure what will become of this project. I'm guessing it will stay in my WIP basket for the next 5 or 6 years.

6 comments:

EveningEmma said...

I don't think the difference is really that noticable, at least not from the photos. I think you should still finish it, I doubt anybody would notice it if you wore it.

Belladune said...

I can see it. how oh so very sad. Though, how wide is the scarf? could it be made to look intentional?

Meredith said...

OH no! I hope you finish it anyway! ;0) I bet it will be beautiful and no one will notice. Maybe they'll think it was intentional like Belladune said...

Really pretty color though!

Sara Wright said...

I read somewhere that you can alternate rows from each dye lot and they end up blending together better. It might be worth it to try it for a few inches to see what you think...

LimeRiot said...

Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I may have enough yarn to just start over and leave the rogue skein OUT.

Amy Lynn said...

I'm sure that by now, you've probably fixed the scarf but here's my two cents: leave it in and continue working on the scarf. With knitting, I think the color change is very subtle, like you meant to change to a different color variation. If you had been crocheting (which is what I do), I think the color change would have been more obvious. And for what it's worth, I think it looks great as it is. :)

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger