I love making lists and I'm constantly in need of notebooks to keep track of my various going-ons. I like using the old marbled black and white composition notebooks because they are cheap and available everywhere.
I like to make felt covers with button and embroidery embellishments to dress them up a bit. It's a fun and easy project and you can use the cover again and again as you fill up notebooks and get new ones!
Want to make one??
Gather up your supplies:
- Felt (I like to use wool but craft felt works too)
- Embroidery floss
- Buttons or other embellishments that you'd like to use!
- Embroidery needle
Cut your felt:
- Open your journal and the total width (front cover + back cover + spine) and add 1"
- Measure the height and add 1"
- Cut your main piece according to the measurements above
- Cut two side pieces ~"3 wide x the same height as your main piece
Embellish (the fun part):
- Decorate the main piece however you want!
- I like to use my craft punches to make felt flowers, circles, stars and other shapes
- You'll have to press hard and quick to punch the felt but it makes a perfectly formed shape
- Attach your embellishments with embroidery floss
- Try adding buttons!
Put it all together:
- Once you finish your design, attach your side pieces by stitching around the entire cover with blanket stitch
- You can see the side piece attachment in this photo
You're done! Enjoy your fancy new notebook cover!